During the past ten years the volume of data traffic doubled every 18 months. In ten years time it will be more than 50 times higher than today.
In 2016 the internet causes already 3% of the global carbon emission.
Volume of data traffic:
- an article in The Telegraph
- the increasing volume of data traffic in numbers or more elaborated here.
- International Energy Agency Statistics
- EDGAR (Emissions Database for Global Atmospheric Research) world total
Carbon emission of the internet:
- an impressing website: internetlivestats.com right bottom the carbon emission is
- an article by Marcus Hurst cites different
sources of numbers.
In 2016 the internet causes more than 1 billion tons of CO2. The annual global emission is about 35 billion tons.